,In connection with the Statistics for Advocacy course we need concrete case studies from different countries. The cases have two main purposes:
- to provide data sets or practical exercises
- to illustrate different ways of utilizing statistical data in the library field
Here is a new case from Norway.
This spring I have done a small statistical study of the 2009 public library statistics in KOSTRA. Norway has about four hundred muncicipalities, each with its own library organization. I did the following:
- retrieved the 400 values for each of fifteen library variables from the KOSTRA data base
- stored them in a Google Docs spreadsheet
- grouped the libraries into five size groups
- calculated the values of twenty different indicators
- calculated the three quartiles (Q1, median, Q3) for each indicator in each group
- created twenty line diagrams that show the quartile values for each group
- published the spreadsheet
- The graphics can be inspected here.
- Comments on the graphs are published here.
- The origina data set is available here.